Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sharing is Caring

Happy Valentine's Day! In the spirit of the holiday, I'm going to talk about love! In everyone's new favorite Disney movie, Frozen, Olaf describes love as putting someone else's needs before your own. I've learned a lot about that lately.

When I was a kid, my siblings and I sucked at sharing. When we had to split a doughnut, the rule was "you cut I choose", which forced us to try and split it perfectly down the middle, because that LAST thing any of us wanted was for the other sibling to have the bigger half. So kind, right?

As an adult, things have drastically changed. We now choose the smaller half, so that we can offer the larger half to the person we are sharing with. An expression of love. But Tim and I have formed our own, lovey-dovey version.

Ever since Tim and I got married, we have shared a lot of meals (when we go out, we usually share an entree, rather than ordering separately). We sort of got into the habit of always offering the last bite to the other. Over the year-and-a-half of doing this, I have felt so much love between us. It really is the little things.

This last weekend we took a trip down to Portland, Oregon for Valentines day, and ate at Departure, one of our favorite restaurants. Since it's a special occasion type of restaurant for us, we ordered dessert after dinner, a delicious chocolate tarte. When we got down to the last bite, I pushed the plate over to Tim. He took his spoon, cut the last bite in half, ate his half, then sent the plate back over to me. I did the same. This continued until there was just a drop left, which he let me have. We shared more than just dessert, we shared many laughs and a beautiful memory.

This week I learned how big an effect sharing has in a relationship. Most importantly, sharing because we want to, not because it is expected. Tim put my wants and desires before his own, and I put his before my own. I learned that building habits of kindness right from the beginning are so important. This small act of sharing is something that gives the other a great sense of your love for them. It is an act of sacrificing something of yours for the other, how little it may be. When we share with each other, we are happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment