Friday, March 7, 2014

Wear His T-Shirt

Remember in high school, when you would steal your boyfriend's jacket and wear it until it stopped smelling like him? Well, I just realized that I haven't done that since I got married. So what did I do? I grabbed Tim's hoodie from off of the floor (because husbands don't hang up their clothes), sprayed it with the cologne he brought on our honeymoon, and I snuggled up in it. Just because I am married to him, it doesn't mean I have to give up the little things I enjoyed while we were dating!

I'm living the dream. So much so, that I sometimes forget that it's real! Every now and then I get a glimpse of reality, where I just sit and think "whoa, I'm married. I'm an adult. And I am married to the man of my dreams!". I sometimes forget that life doesn't have to be routine. I don't have to do things by the book. I can be adult and still be a kid. I can wear the darn hoodie, and I can wash it and then spray the crap out of it with my perfume, just to tease him.

Sometimes we let the stresses and responsibilities of life get in the way of our relationships. We get boring, and then we get bored. We stop wearing each other's clothes, and we stop dressing up for dates, we don't shave as often, and we give up those little things we did to attract the other.

Just because your job is routine, doesn't mean you have to be. Mix it up. Be ready at any given moment for some spontaneity. Surprise each other. Make that extra effort that you did while you were dating. Marriage is not the end reward, it is no the finish line, it is just another step. Don't stop impressing each other.

Don't put your relationship on the back-burner. Don't let it get old, or boring. Those cute things you would do while you were dating? Do them. Take those annoying selfies, write those sappy Facebook statuses about each other. Celebrate each month of your relationship! Tell your friends about the flowers he bought you, and the cake your made for him.

Don't stop dating, just because you are married. Love doesn't just sit still, it either grows a little, or dies a little. Are you going to feed it, or let it starve?

1 comment:

  1. I love this and fully agree. It sucks when you hit a plateau and you can't seem to get out of routines.

    Spontaneity is great for relationships because you still have an element of surprise in the relationship.

    ReplyDelete