Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Creativity Makes My Dinner

I don't really want to make this into a recipe blog, but when you are limited to just a toaster oven, microwave, Crock Pot, and skillet, you tend to get a little creative with cooking. May I present to you, the slow cooked artichoke!
Seeing as a pair of artichokes don't cook well in a toaster oven (not to my liking anyway), I had to get acquainted with the Crock Pot.

2 Artichokes
2 cups water
1 cup ACV
1 lemon
1/2 cup Olive Oil
And seasonings to taste (I used minced garlic, salt and pepper). First you put the water in the bottom of the pot, it should be about 2 inches deep. Then you put the artichokes stem-down in the Crock Pot (after cutting all for half an inch of the stems off, and cutting the top inch off the artichokes. Trim the leaves too). Then pour the apple cider vinegar (ACV) over the top of the artichokes. rum the lemon halves on the top of the artichokes, then squeeze the juice over them. Then put seasonings on top of the artichokes, then pour the oil over top (this pushes all the seasonings down between the leaves, and helps keep the artichoke moist). Cover, and cook for 3 to 4 hours.

For the dip I just combined mayo with paprika and cheese. You can also dip it in butter, eat it plain, or dip in plain mayo. The vinegar adds a nice strong flavor, so you may not even need a dip :)

This is just one of many recipes I have discovered in the last nine months. Working in a kitchen that is actually significantly smaller than those in most RVs, I have resorted to creativity. I never knew so much could be made in the Crock Pot! I was always under the impression that Crock Pot dinners were huge and fancy. As it turns out, even the simplest things can be made in the Crock Pot, and 90% of the time its the best way to cook!

In addition to the easiness of it, Crock Pot foods are easy to alter to your taste buds. If you don't like apple cider vinegar, go with red wine vinegar, or straight red wine! Basically, there is no set recipe for creativity. I've learned to be adventurous, and while I'm still childless, I can be bold and not worry about upsetting too many people! Plus cooking for two allows for more waste. Its much easier to throw away two servings of yuck, than a whole family's worth.

I've learned to enjoy cooking. Growing up, I had to follow recipes. I thought they were rules. Now I know they are guidelines; mere suggestions. Once you get the idea of what goes with what, you can spin the wheel! Who needs a cook book when you've got creativity cooking for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment