Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Not Bored Yet

My relationship with my husband is the longest romantic relationship I have ever had. A major fear that people have about getting married young, is that things will change, you'll get bored of each other, you'll actually learn about each other, and you may not like what you learn. Well, There's a strategy to avoid these things.

Something I have learned about being married, is that the "honeymoon" eventually wears off. You start actually watching movies together, and you start to actually talk and get to know each other. This can be dangerous. In my case, I was lucky enough to know Tim for a very long time before we got married, and after we got married, I was lucky enough to like the new things I'd learned about him. Most people aren't this lucky, though. So the key, is to quit making out so much and TALK!

Develop habits, good ones. Communication is key. When Tim and I got back from our honeymoon, and got back to real life, I began making it a daily habit to ask him what makes him happy each day. When we go to bed at night, I ask him this question and I listen to the answers he gives me. This is beneficial in a few ways; I get to learn more about the things he enjoys, the day to day things that are important in his life. I am also giving him the opportunity to tell me about his day, highlighting on the positive things that happened. I have noticed that this generally improves a crappy day, or tops off a great one.

Another habit we have recently formed, is listing off all the little things that make a good day, as they happen. These are often as small as seeing a bunny in the yard, or hitting a traffic light as it turns green. This puts us both in a really great mood, and instantly cheers us up when we are in a bad one.

My point is, I've known Tim for 6 years, and I am not bored yet! We are constantly experiencing new things together, because we make the effort to do so. You can never run out of things to say, if you are always looking for the good in life. And when you take the time to hear what the other has to say, ('cause we all know how much we like to talk about ourselves) you'll find that you have a really interesting book that never actually ends. Okay, weird metaphor, but you get the idea.

To me, Tim is always interesting, and always fun to talk to. Everyone is, you just have to ask the right questions, and care enough to listen. Put the other person first, and you'll find that your needs are being met, and that you truly can be happy with just one person for the rest of your life. Make goals together, talk together, experience life together. That's why we are given companionship, so don't get bored of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment