Monday, June 10, 2013

Gratitude Is Everything

"What's for dinner?"; the world's most disguised form of "thank you". We overlook this phrase a lot. It can even get pretty annoying. But to me, this phrase means a lot more than what it says. To me it means " I trust you to make something good", or "thank you in advance for the dinner you are going to prepare". Tim has started to ask me this question, and I've noticed that he eats whatever I prepare, and thanks me for it, whether the concoction was a success or a miserable failure.

Knowing that what you are doing for other people is appreciated is one of the greatest feelings in the world, and is so important in a successful marriage. Getting so used to this feeling of being appreciated is what constantly reminds me to be thankful of everything Tim does for me, especially the day-to-day chores that usually go unnoticed. 

Since being married, I've learned to really look for things to be thankful for, because on the off chance I don't notice something Tim does for me, it puts a damper on his day. Being on the lookout for things to be appreciative of has been something that lightens each day. When we look for the good in life, we notice more of it. People find what they are looking for, and when you look for the good, you find it.

Thank your spouse for going to work. For washing the dishes, for taking out the trash, or for taking off their shoes before entering the house after you've just mopped. These small things are the things we need to remember to express gratitude for. 

A grateful attitude makes for a generous person. If you are willing to thank people for what they do, you are more inclined to serve with a happy heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment